Monday, August 11, 2008

Great Dish: Fresh Figs with Prosciutto and Gorgonzola Cheese

In my opinion, one of the (only) good things about training for a marathon is the requisite carb binges that precede a long run. It was with this excuse, er, goal in mind that I headed to Sette Osteria in Dupont on Saturday night. Sette is one our go-to restaurants for decent, reasonably priced Italian food, and while I’m actually not too crazy about their pizzas, most of their pastas are pretty darn good (particularly the gnocchi with tomatoes and mozzarella and the cavatelli with spicy sausage and broccoli rabe).

Carb-driven though I was, the appetizer on the ‘daily specials’ page caught my eye – fresh figs with prosciutto and gorgonzola-slathered bread. I couldn’t resist my first taste this season of that delicious, summery sweet fruit, and its tangy/salty pairing was the perfect complement. Who knew such a little fruit could steal the show from all that pasta?

No comments: